OS X Yosemite (Vole Guides) Perfect for new and longtime Mac users, this no-fluff guide to OS X Yosemite is packed with details on system preferences, the desktop, Finder, applications, and utilities. You'll also find step-by-step instructions for printing, scanning, networking, sharing, troubleshooting, and going online. A Windows glossary makes switching to Mac (mostly) painless, and keyboard mavens will find a complete list of keyboard shortcuts.
New features covered include iCloud Drive, Family Sharing, Continuity, Handoff, Extensions, Today view, Photos, and updates to Spotlight, FaceTime, Game Center, and full-screen apps.
• See live previews of documents, pictures, and folders.
• Use Mission Control to juggle all your open windows, desktops, and displays.
• Dock programs, documents, and folders for one-click access.
• Tag your files to make them easy to sort and find.
• Use Finder tabs to declutter your desktop.
• See all your notifications in one place.
• Spread your work over multiple displays.
• Enhance and customize OS X with extensions.
• Use iCloud to store and access the latest versions of your files and settings online.
• Share iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases freely with your family.
• Sync your files, mail, contacts, appointments, reminders, notes, and messages wirelessly across your Mac, Windows PC, and iOS devices.
• Get instant search results for documents, pictures, music, mail, programs, online sources, and more.
• Dictate anywhere that you can type.
• Play games on Game Center, Apple's online multiplayer social gaming network.
• Post to Facebook and Twitter right from the app you're using.
• Mirror your Mac's screen to your HDTV wirelessly via AirPlay, or use your HDTV as a full-fledged display, complete with dock and menu bar.
• Share files and printers on your home network.
• Move seamlessly between your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, or use them together.
• Connect to wireless networks with a couple of clicks.
• Set up and manage printers, scanners, and other devices.
• Download and install OS X, apps, and updates from the Mac App Store.
• Secure your data from thieves and snoops.
• Plenty of tips, tricks, and timesavers.
• Fully cross-referenced, linked, and searchable.
1. OS X Basics
2. The Desktop
3. System Preferences
4. Files, Folders & Drives
5. Programs & Documents
6. Printing, Faxing & Fonts
7. Networks & Sharing
8. Online Connections
9. Security & Privacy
10. Maintenance & Backups
11. Switching from Windows
12. Keyboard Shortcuts
About the Author
Chris Kennedy is a technical writer based in Boulder, Colorado. When he's not typing, Chris climbs rocks, revises his screenplays, and reads the journals of polar explorers. He's been writing about OS X since Snow Leopard.